Thursday, May 1, 2014

When You Meet Resistance

When you meet resistance, don't give up.
Don't give in.
One day, you will look back and realize it was all worth it.

My service as a missionary has not been easy. In fact, it's been probably the most difficult thing I've ever done. There have been a lot of times when I have felt like giving up. But I knew that I had to stick it out because it was the right thing to do and I knew it would be worth it in the long run. I've learned to keep pushing, even when I meet resistance, because that's what makes me stronger.

We've all had experiences where we've felt pretty lost and alone, but when we look back, we realize that we learned something. We gained something. I've gained a lot of things on my mission so far because it's been hard.

This was part of a revelation given to the prophet, Joseph Smith, while he was a prisoner in Liberty Jail, on March 20, 1839. The Prophet and several of his companions had been in prison for months.

D&C 121:7-8
"7. My son, peace be unto thy soul; thine adversity shal be but a small moment,
"8. And then, if thou endure it well, God shall exalt thee on high, thou shalt triumph over all thy foes."

When you meet resistance, remember it's going to be ok. It will all work out! We just need to have faith and keep pushing through. Pray to feel love. Pray to feel hope. Pray that you can be patient in your affliction. I promise if you pray, you'll be alright. It's worked for me.

I realized something important this week:

Sometimes I have no idea what to do next. Sometimes I have tried everything, and it doesn't work... again. Sometimes I really have no idea how I'm going to keep going. 

This week, I realized that in that moment lies is the whole point of mortal existence. Those difficult moments hold the ability for us to become celestial beings. It doesn't just happen one day when we are resurrected! Eternity is now! Eternal life is right now. And we are living it a step at a time. 

Those moments, where it feels like the world is falling down around you, are precious moments in the eyes of our Heavenly Father. Sometimes, He sends us blessings in the form of raindrops. He cherishes our growing pains, because He can see the results. He can see our potential. He has the big picture. We can get a small taste of that "big picture" because of the Restored gospel of Jesus Christ. We can find it in the scriptures, and when we don't know how to go on, and we don't know where to turn, we can turn to Him. He is always there for us, because He loves us. 

That is true happiness, my friends: feeling His love for us, recognizing our potential, and as a result, serving Him with all our might!

Trust in Him. He can see the big picture.



No comments:

Post a Comment